CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
*** Just a note to those following my blog, but not following a gluten free diet, with just a simple adjustment to the recipes they can be full of gluten. Substitutes: any gluten free flour/mix use wheat flour and omit the xanthan gum. ***

Friday, March 2, 2012

Gluten Free Gold Fish

Sorry it has been awhile since my last post, but today is a great one!!This is one of my favorite recipes I found once I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease!!  I found it at Adventures of a Gluten Free Mom, one of my favorite Gluten Free blogs.  She got the recipe from You Won't Believe Its Gluten Free recipe book.  It is a simple recipe and definitely worth the effort.

Gluten Free Goldfish

Ingredients:
4 oz. Cheddar Cheese, shredded (I use Sharp)
4 Tbs. Butter
3/4 c. Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Xanthan Gum
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Tbs. Milk
Salt
 
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a baking sheet. (I use a stone, so I don't grease it, not sure if you would need to.)

Combine all the ingredients, except the milk, in a medium size-bowl. Mix until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Add the milk and beat well.  Above picture is what it will look like when it is done.  You may not think it will get there, but it will.

In between parchment paper (bottom) and plastic wrap (top) pat or roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into 3/4 inch squares or another small shape (I like to do Goldfish) that you like.  You can also cut the dough into larger round or square shapes, just extend the cooking time.


I got my small fish cookie cutter at www.coppergifts.com
It is the fish mini-tiny. 


 Prick the tops of the crackers with a fork and sprinkle lightly with your salt. Bake on the prepared baking sheet until golden brown and crisp, approximately 10 minutes.


The crackers will be light and crispy, although barely browning at the edges. The bottom of the crackers will have a bit more color.
(Blogger has a mind of its own and I can't change the font of the last two sections :) )

0 comments:

Post a Comment