Tuesday, March 6, 2012
These are a great healthy snack with lots of good protein that will help give you an energy boost!! They are simple and YUMMY!!!
3/4 cup nut butter (almond, peanut or sun) (I use almond butter)
3/4 cup agave nectar or honey (I use agave)
1 1/2 cups raw nuts and/or seeds (I use almonds, walnuts & sunflower seeds)
1 cup unsulfured dried fruits (I have used apricots, mangos & pineapple)
4 cups gluten free brown rice crispie cereal
1/8 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup coconut (optional)
1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.
2. Place nuts and/or seeds & dried fruits in food processor/blender. Pulse until mixture is just coarsely ground. (I don't have a food processor so I use a blender)
3. In a large sauce pan, melt nut butter & liquid sweetener over medium low heat. Stir and watch to prevent scorching. When mixture is smooth and bubbling, remove from heat.
4. Add salt and vanilla, stir.
5. Use large spatula to stir in nuts, dried fruit and cereal. Stir until all coated with nut butter mixture.
6. Scoop onto baking pan & roll until its smooth and even thickness. (I like to top with plastic wrap before rolling) Top with wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
7. Cut into bars, store wrapped in wax paper, in a covered container in the refrigerator.