CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
*** Just a note to those following my blog, but not following a gluten free diet, with just a simple adjustment to the recipes they can be full of gluten. Substitutes: any gluten free flour/mix use wheat flour and omit the xanthan gum. ***

Monday, April 9, 2012

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

My husband's family has had a traditional chocolate cake they make for EVERY birthday party!!!!  I believe the original recipe came from his aunt Janice.   When I first joined the family I thought it was really boring to always have the same cake.  But I have come to LOVE it just like everyone else.  When I was diagnosed with celiac disease I knew I would have to adapt it to be gluten free.  It took me several times to get it perfect, but I believe it is there.  We had a family party yesterday to celebrate 6 birthdays and so I made the traditional chocolate cake gluten free for everyone and they all loved it.  You'd never know it was gluten free.  


Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
3 Tbsp cocoa + 1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups featherlight mix *
1/2 cup GF mix**
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and dust two 9" round pans.  
I have made in a 9 x 13 pan too.

 Cream sugars and butter.

 Beat eggs, add to creamed sugar/butter & mix well.

 Add cocoa w/ butter & vanilla, blend.

 I use the powdered buttermilk.  It is much easier to have on hand and not waste any.
Mix up the buttermilk powder (2 Tbsp) with 1/2 cup water.

Mix together featherlight mix, GF mix, xanthan gum & baking powder.
 Alternate adding flour mix and buttermilk - a little at a time.

Put baking soda in the bottom of a measuring cup; add boiling water.
Add to cake mix a little at a time.

 Divide cake mix into the two 9" pans.
Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

 Cool Cake in pans while you make the frosting.

Frosting:
1/2 cup butter/margarine
4 Tbsp cocoa
6 Tbsp milk
1 lb/box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter, add remaining ingredients.  Mix until smooth.
Dump one cake out onto a plate.  Frost top and sides.  Add second cake on top.  Use toothpicks to keep in place.  Finish frosting the whole cake.

ENJOY!!!

* You can find the featherlight mix recipe here.
** You can find the GF mix recipe here at the end.

0 comments:

Post a Comment